Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Craft for kids

We made "helping hands" doves with our Wednesday evening preschool class to celebrate the Day of Pentecost in church. Pentecost is when the modern day Christian Church was started with the disciples receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit represented by the dove. The theme this month has been how we are all part of the Body of Christ and we all have gifts and talents we can use in the church. The children have hands that they can use to help others.
Our class traced the children's hands onto posterboard and then the adults cut out the hands and the dove bodies. We stapled the hand/wings to the doves and hung them with string for the whole church to see.
This would be an easy project to do with different themes. I can imagine a parrot mobile, birds of summer such as robins, bluebirds, finches, etc. Seagulls would make a great mobile too. It's just a matter of changing the shape of the beak and tail on your main pattern. Hope this inspires you to do something with the kids in your life! Have fun!

6 comments:

tainterturtles said...

That's a wonderful craft idea. I think I will show this idea to my church. I think the kids would love to make the dove's, plus it's a good way to teach what Pentecost means. Thanks for sharing PA.

Aunt Krissy said...

That's a niffy craft. How did you get so smart?

A Lady's Life said...

I miss doing krafts for kids
Wish I had grandchildren around but this will never happen since every one lives so far away.
:)

Margaret Ann said...

This are fabulous... I love the inclusion of the children's handprints...timeless and beautiful!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am rarely around little people any more. It sounds like fun though.

Unknown said...

oh these are great! I loooove bird mobiles. Did you know some think it best to have only flying animals as mobiles (birds, butterflies, bees etc). Grounded animals such as elephants etc should not be used in mobiles...they confuse matters! HUH!